[ale] OLPC in the ATL

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Tue Dec 25 19:39:56 EST 2007

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Grady Harris wrote:
>snips
> Does it load & display PDF quickly
> enough not to be distracting?

Just got around to testing this. 179 KB (56 page) PDF grabbed at random and
transferred to the XO via a USB key. Opened in just a few seconds (after
finding it...) and scrolls plenty fast. This guy has tested the XO with an
ebook (on an 16 Gig SD card) so you should be happy.
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/community-support/2007-December/000463.html

No joy with the wireless card in my computer. Went back to plan A, a USB to
ethernet adapter. No fun driving driving to Marietta on Christmas
eve, but what passes for a computer store in Canton was sold out. Works great
and the XO connects to the net just fine.

Anyone tried out a live CD of Sugar yet? The official project was abandoned
back in April. Two others are available and a third planed. This one works
but is a bit glitchy. http://startx.ro/sugar/  Missing some of the sound
related 'Activities' and has a few others to replacing them that are not
pre-installed on the real XO. Despite the glitches it is much easier for
me to use with a full sized keyboard and mouse.

Unable to get this one to finish downloading, so I have not tested it.
ftp://rohrmoser-engineering.de/pub/XO-LiveCD/
http://skolelinux.de/XO-LiveCD/
Both were hanging at 89% Did manage to get the ftp one to resume once and got
up to 92% before it hung yet again. Neither link is working for me at the
moment. I probably got IP banned for trying too many times:)
--
William