[ale] external USB drives, brand recommendations?

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Fri Dec 21 02:11:03 EST 2007

Hi Pete,

On 12/20/2007 at 4:59 PM Pete Hardie wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I was asked to be more specific in my Christmas list, and give a brand
>name for the external USB hard drive
>I had on the list.
>
>I've heard rumors of various brands not playing well with Linux, so I
>thought to harvest the crowd-sourcing power
>of the ALErs, and ask what y'all recommend to get/avoid.

Just stay away from WD.  God awful support and a penchant for their power supplies to go bad.  Their solutions?  A: Send in the drive for warranty and kiss your data goodbye, B: otherwise, the official recommendation is an extremely expensive data recovery outfit they've contracted with.  Lastly, C: deep-six your warranty and open the case.

I've bought my last WD/Maxtor.

(P.S. Anyone know of an *excellent* PCB repair outfit that won't kill me on price?)

Cheers,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting