[ale] LaTeX question?

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 18:54:09 EST 2007

> Nah, plagiarism is a problem in other disciplines, too. My GF
> teaches anthro and education classes (she's an anthropologist,
> but also teaches teacher certification), and catches a couple of
> plagiarists every semester.  She showed me a paper in which one
> of her students  had just copied and pasted a bunch of statistics
> off of a web page without crediting the original researchers :-/
>
> -- JK

Maybe I'm missing something...

Since every quotation, every data-set, unless it's original data, needs to
have a citation, if they don't cite it, it's plagarism. I wouldn't turn in or
accept a paper that didn't have a footnote for each figure, chart, or set of
quotes...

I don't see how that's a hard concept to gather... even if you're going to cut
and paste... just give the source... cite it... then slack on the rest if you
must. Doesn't make a good paper, but at least makes it morally sound even if
it's intellictually crud.

Then if it IS original data - I'd expect to see collection methods...
metrics... process...  seems like you could still determine the merit of the
paper's origionality based almost soley on it's method and detail in the
footnotes/references. (metadata I guess?) Any student who has gone to enough
trouble to read the field enough to develop a good bibliography - ought to be
able to easily defend anything they write.

OBLIG Linux Tie IN:
It would be like code - you can't use GPL code without including the GPL...