[ale] Can no longer boot one of my drives - SOLVED

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 20 18:03:18 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 17:45 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied.  I re-installed grub on the MBR after
> booting into openSUSE using the installation media.  When I rebooted, I
> was met with a error 21 grub message.
>
> Long story short and after some googling, some people were receiving
> this error (disk not found) when having a USB drive plugged in at the
> time of boot.  Sure enough, I had an iPod shuffle plugged in.
> Unplugging it and rebooting allowed grub to come up fully.
>
> Still not quite sure why this causes a problem, but that was it.
>
> Thanks again all.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Trey
> ----

The USB device will be seen by the bios as a SCSI drive. The new kernels
treat ALL drives as scsi devices. So now the scsi chain is renumbered
and the grub device numbering doesn't work since what was drive 0 is now
drive 1 'cause the USB drive is now drive 0.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>