[ale] Can no longer boot one of my drives

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 20 09:38:33 EST 2007

Hi all-

I'm hoping someone can help with the issue I'm having.  Here's a quick
rundown of the situation:

Desktop machine with 2 500GB SATA drives.  One drive has both Windows
VISTA (1st partition) and Fedora 7 (sda2 is / and sda3 is /home)

Second drive only has only openSUSE 10.3 (sdb1 is /, sdb2 is swap, sdb3
is /tmp and the rest is an LVM with HOME, OPT, USR, and VAR)

I use GAG (boot loader) to boot and have entries for all 3 operating
systems.  I have been using this setup successfully for quite a while
now.

I was most recently in openSUSE and shut down the machine Monday morning
to go out of town.  When I came back last night, I could boot into
either Vista or Fedora, but not openSUSE.  Trying to do so gives the
error: "Sector boot not found or invalid".

I went into the "add an OS" setup to look at how the drives were being
seen.  It looks like:
Drive 1
A Boot from floppy
B 07h NTFS/Windows
C 83h Linux EXT2
D 83h Linux EXT2

Drive2
A Boot from floppy
B 76h

That's it for Drive2.

I suppose it could be a bad drive, but I've not seen anything with the
drive prior to this to suggest that.  The cabling looks good between the
drive and motherboard.  Any ideas here as to how to go about
troubleshooting and hopefully getting this drive back?

Let me know if any more info is required, and thanks for any and all
help!
--
  Trey Sizemore
  trey at fastmail.fm