[ale] umask for root on Suse?

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:05:20 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 11:13 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Since I'm no longer using SuSE, I can't research this issue.  Where is
> the umask for root set on a SuSE box?

I'm on SuSE 10.3. Here's what I found:
in /etc/profile:
#
# The user file-creation mask
#
# The global umask value is stored in /etc/login.defs and
# will be set by pam_umask.so (see "man pam_umask").
#umask 022

in /etc/login.defs:
#
# Umask which is used by useradd and newusers for creating
# new home directories.
#
UMASK                   022

And finally, according to man pam_umask:
       pam_umask is a PAM module to set the file mode creation mask of the
       current environment. The umask affects the default permissions assigned
       to newly created files.

       The PAM module tries to get the umask value from the following places
       in the following order:

       ?  umask= argument

       ?  umask= entry of the users GECOS field

       ?  pri= entry of the users GECOS field

       ?  ulimit= entry of the users GECOS field

       ?  UMASK= entry from /etc/default/login

       ?  UMASK entry from /etc/login.defs

So, at least on my box, it sees to be pam_umask reading from
/etc/login.defs, if it's not overridden in root's .profile, .bash_rc,
or something.

-A