[ale] What I want for Christmas - wrt IPTABLES

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Dec 13 11:19:53 EST 2007

Steve Brown wrote:

> Is a GUI not an option? Firestarter does what you are saying; it
> starts you off not allowing anything, and anything that gets blocked
> is logged. You can then check that log and right click on the entries
> to either allow that IP addy access to that port, access to all ports,
> or to open the port up for everyone.
That would work.  I never heard of Firestarter.  I'll look at it.
Thanks.

> On a related note, has anyone ever tried Firewall Builder [1]? Yay, nay?
Actually, yes.  That's what I currently use and it does a good job.  It
has most of the services well defined so you can enable http and https
and it will know to use the correct ports.  It's pretty intuitive  but
my problem seems to be knowing what to do with some of the lesser used
apps that FB doesn't know about.  Firestarter seems to be the trick.

Thanks,
Jim.