[ale] Geocaching, Linux, and appropriate GPS

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Tue Dec 11 09:05:23 EST 2007

You might want to avoid a Garmin brand-new, as it seems they like to
nickel-and-dime their customers.

I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid Garmin, just know what your buying in
to. The do seem to be very good and feature rich. I just bought the
eTrex Vista HCx, and it has a lot of cool features, but it does not come
with detailed maps or topo out of the box. You have to pay extra for
those. The software that comes with it just shows major highways,
interstates, large rivers and bodies of water. It does have detailed
info (Gas stations, restaurants, etc...) for exits and intersections.
Looks like I will be investing in the Topo software which is an extra
$116. ;-(

And of course, none of their SW works with linux.

Denny