[ale] LaTeX question?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Dec 11 00:35:07 EST 2007

James Sumners wrote:

> A quick search returns this -- http://www.tug.org/utilities/texconv/textopc.html
>
> I would be loathe to do it, though. LaTeX and Word serve two entirely
> different purposes. Word is for those who don't know any better, and
> LaTeX is for when it needs to be done right. It seems to me that if
> you are working on a subject where LaTeX is the most appropriate tool,
> then your instructor would accept a PDF, or even the TeX file. But if
> the instructor is feeding the work through some sort of plagiarism
> checker, then it's likely that the subject is english or literature.

Nah, plagiarism is a problem in other disciplines, too. My GF
teaches anthro and education classes (she's an anthropologist,
but also teaches teacher certification), and catches a couple of
plagiarists every semester.  She showed me a paper in which one
of her students  had just copied and pasted a bunch of statistics
off of a web page without crediting the original researchers :-/

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens