[ale] Evolution is a hog

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Dec 10 11:27:36 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 11:16 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I was trying to send email to someone and got an error in Evolution
> that
> there were too many open files
>
> [cfowler at shuttle proc]$ lsof | grep evolu | wc -l
> 1471
>
> Why does evolution need 1471 open fds?
>
> I'm running 2.10.3

The same problem still exists in Evolution 2.12.1.  I have been trying
to figure out enough information on this to get things going in the form
of a bug report and additional information, but I have thus far been
unsuccessful.  If you look at the output of lsof|grep evolu, you can see
that many of those are duplicated file descriptors for the same files,
which is somewhat annoying.  This would be, I think, considered to be a
resource leak.  It just looks like it isn't closing file descriptors
when it is done with them, and opening new ones when it needs to use
them again...

No idea why that hasn't been fixed already, though.

Then again, Thunderbird has its issues, too.  It particularly has some
troubling issues that prevent me from using it; the file descriptor
problem in Evolution is relatively minor compared to the issues that I
have had with Thunderbird with even their most recent releases.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber