[ale] Re: bellsouth DSL dropped last night

deritchie at earthlink.net deritchie at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 09:15:46 EST 2007

Several factors affect the uptake of knowledge on DNS:

1) In most companies/organizations, only a small number of people do anything with DNS other than point at some elses server.
IMHO, this out of self defense, as it is quite easy to hose things up if you don't know what you are doing.

2) There are a nontrival number of people still using hosts files. This is, again IMHO, to avoid having to understand zone files and transfers.

3) lots of folks have DNS implementions based on Windows and active directory. Unfortunately (for undertrained Windows admins), there is no "DNS Wizard" to remind them of the necessary steps to set up DNS correctly.
If I had a nickel for every time I have seen windows admins not put in reverse lookup entries....

4) lots of folks don't understand the public facing vs. local facing DNS server concept.

5) lots of folks have DNS setups that sorta work.
5) Windows admins, are as a class, minimally trained and compensated - and you do get what you pay for.

Are there any good tools for going in and evaluating a DNS setup after the fact?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile