[ale] Q: Wireless Router and Bellsouth w/Westel(l?) Modem

Adrin adrin at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 5 19:32:48 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:22 -0500, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I plan to add a wireless router behind a BellSouth DSL modem. The modem is
> the Westel(l?), not configured presently for mutiple computers.
>
> A thread here last year suggested reconfiguring the modem into 'bridging'
> mode before attaching a router behind it. What does that reconfiguration
> achieve, vs. just having the router place its DHCP request, then serving
> the computers behind it, including their DHCP, DNS, etc?

Router will do PPoE,  In some cases you can setup SMTP logging from the
router.  Depending on the router you can have more control over the DHCP
clients.  Unless you are buying a high dollar router I would not suggest
using it to do DNS.  Most of them can not seem to handle to many request
at once.  One stop Admin Control.  If you need to do some port
forwarding, With double natting you will need to forward the ports on
both routers.

> I suppose there is some reason not to do the simple 'plug'n'play' through
> the router, but I'm not expert enough to know what it is. The modem now
> does the PPPoE, modest fire-walling, etc. and I would be happy to keep it
> that way.

Bridging it harder to find on the router than do.  Some routers will
even automatically switch, but not reliably, to bridge mode. (Netopia)

Again the double NATING is just a screwy thing. And what happens if the
Westell LAN is 192.168.1.X and the Wireless router LAN is 192.168.1.X.

with the DSL-Modem in bridge mode you can forget about it configuration
mostly.  Until you are on the line with Tech Support and they want you
to default the Modem and login to it.