[ale] OT - DVD player NTSC/PAL Region Free

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 12:54:58 EST 2007

Brian Pitts wrote:

> I believe PAL and NTSC videos are encoded with slightly different
> resolutions, frame rates, etc. A DVD player that expects one format
> might not decode the other properly.
That's an understatement; the difference is a deal-breaker.  Scan
converters are expensive pieces of professional equipment.  It's 25f/s
vs. 30f/s and 625-line vs. 525-line.  The color encoding is quite different.

I expect you could cobble together an amateur-grade converter in a PC,
but then there's still the issue of having the mains power avaiable to
support monitoring and other equipment.