[ale] OT - DVD player NTSC/PAL Region Free

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:46:45 EST 2007

You're going to have a tough time finding anything here in the states
that will play PAL discs. Especially at so called big box stores.
Since the USA is NTSC, and most of our hardware originates in NTSC
countries (Japan, Taiwan, etc.), almost nothing supports it. For
example, my first DVD player, a Panasonic, had a region unlock code
that could be entered via the remote control. Even after entering the
code I could not play my Orbital Altogether DVD -- it is region 2, PAL
formatted. So, even if you can unlock the player, or the player is
region free, you will still need a player that is capable of PAL.
Which you have learned.

You should start looking at specialty shops online. That, or build and
HTPC. I put together one, without a television tuner, at Newegg a
couple weeks ago for about $350. I used nothing but parts $50 and
under, where possible (I started with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and built
from there); they even have HTPC cases. I didn't put a tuner in it
because I want a pcHDTV card. If you don't care about HD, then it
would be about $400.

I doubt MythTV cares about region codes, and any old PC DVD reader
will read NTSC and PAL.