[ale] dell laptop keyboard

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 30 08:50:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:16 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I've never taken a laptop apart, but I'm not shy. In a previous life I used to
> take apart 386's, setup IRQs, replace motherboards.... but I just never got
> around to a laptop. My 1 1/2 year-old DELL XPS laptop now has a broken "v"
> key on the keyboard. The keyboard replacement from DELL is only $10.99 so it
> isn't that bad, but I'm just not sure of the exact procedure to replace it?
> hints,clues, suggestions welcomed.

For many newer system the keyboards are easy to replace. They often have
tiny spring clips near the top edge along the function keys that will
allow the keyboard to be simply popped out, cable/flexible circuit line
disconnected quite easily.

Changing out a power control board is a different beast entirely.