[ale] Choosing megaraid driver for existing install

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Aug 29 16:37:03 EDT 2007

Is there a way to tell an already installed system to boot from a
different driver in FC5 (2.6 kernel)?

Scenario:
We have an old DELL PE2450 with a DELL PERC (LSI Megaraid)  adapter
which is PERC 4/DC.   The LSI MEGARAID_MBOX driver in 2.6 kernels works
fine with this.

We have older PERC 2/SC cards available.   LSI MEGARAID_MBOX does NOT
work with those earlier cards but LSI MEGARAID (sans _MBOX) which is
also available DOES work with those cards.

I would like to pull the PERC 4/DC out and install the PERC 2/SC.  (I
would then tell the PER2/SC to get its config from the drives - a
coworker who has more experience on the Windoze side says they are
compatible for doing that.)

On a fresh install of FC I would simply type "linux noprobe" at the
boot: prompt then it would allow me to select the LSI MEGARAID driver so
it could recognize the LUN as the boot drive.

How could I boot this system in such a way as to use LSI MEGARAID
instead of LSI MEGARAID_MBOX?  The box is currently up so I'm thinking
there ought to be something I could do to the kernel (recompile a new
one?)  or grub that would make it recognize this as it would after a
fresh install.