[ale] [OT] Atlanta Public Schools RFP "Linux Managed Services"

Bruce callmebruce2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 14:43:14 EDT 2007

I use a commercial tool. The tool uses SNMP Write to
set up the Cisco SAA Transactions. Basically, we use
it to monitor availability and latency (Cisco SAA
Ping), Web Page availability and latency (Cisco SAA
HTTP), DHCP responsiveness, DNS responsiveness and
Jitter. You can also monitor FTP (and a few other
things).

So - with Nagios, you can monitor up/down status. I
used to use MRTG/RRDTool to do ping - that would work
for reachability/latency - but would be problematic
(ICMP packets are the first to be dropped, and just
because you can ping something doesn't mean it's
working).

If you are just doing Cisco SAA Ping, you can do a LOT
from a central router. Jitter takes a lot of
resources, so you would want to have a couple
measurement routers (but Jitter is not in the RFP, so
you could ignore it).

Does Nagios do MRTG/RRDTool? If so, that would let you
monitor WAN utilization and notify when you are
reaching a set utilization level.

Hmmmm, I've got a stack of 5 older Ciso 2500 series
routers and an ancient 10 Meg Cisco switch with 100
Meg uplinks. Might be time to install Nagios and see
what it will do! I don't think my stack supports Cisco
SAA, though. I'd have to mess with it.

Hmmm, if I had a pair of spare PCs, I'd test Nagios
and flow-tools.

http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-ngn/tf-ngn19/douitsis-nagios.pdf