[ale] Confused about processor speeds

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Fri Aug 24 23:21:03 EDT 2007

Patrick P wrote:
> You have a faster processor for running multiple applications and a slower processor for running one application, unless the application is designed to take advantage of a dual-core processor.
>
> From: Christopher Fowler
> Subject: [ale] Confused about processor speeds
> To: ale at ale.org
>
> I have to admit that the numbering scheme in use today has been
> confusing me.  I got some new hardware in that is supposed to replace my
> older PIV HT processors.  My issue is that these new processors are
> 1.8Ghz and the old were 3.0Ghz.  These are dual core and old was
> hyperthreaded.  Do I really have a faster processor?  The bogomips score
> of the new processor is lower than the old.

That's not always the case.  First off, any desktop environment will
have multiple threads running at once, as will any halfway-used server.
Additionally, newer processors may have a lower clock speed, but in
practical use, even a single thread generally runs faster: they have
larger caches, better optimized instruction sets (fewer clock cycles per
operation) and, in some cases, more in-processor registers and other
hardware features.  I've clocked a 2 GHz Core Duo running MUCH faster
than a 2.8 GHz P4 (HT, 2003 era).

David