[ale] Confused about processor speeds

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Aug 24 15:42:33 EDT 2007

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I have to admit that the numbering scheme in use today has been
> confusing me.  I got some new hardware in that is supposed to replace my
> older PIV HT processors.  My issue is that these new processors are
> 1.8Ghz and the old were 3.0Ghz.  These are dual core and old was
> hyperthreaded.  Do I really have a faster processor?  The bogomips score
> of the new processor is lower than the old.

Clock speed has always been a poor indicator of performance. I think a
classic example of this is Intel's Pentium 4 versus Motorola's G4e. Ars
Technica wrote a piece in 2001 on the different design philosophies of
these two chips at
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/p4andg4e.ars . Reading it
will explain some of the the many design factors that affect different
aspects of CPU performance.

Anyway, the bogo in bogomips does stand for "bogus."

-Brian