[ale] Disclaimer notice in sendmail and excluding cell phone addresses

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 24 16:16:33 EDT 2007

James P. Kinney III, on 08/24/2007 04:00 PM said:

> In fact, appending to email that is digitally signed to authenticate a
> sender will break all current authentication processes. Thus the legals
> will have no idea if the bad email was sent _really_ by mary in
> accounting or fred in receiving. :)

Well, that's what encryption is for!  Many (at least larger)
organizations seem to use S/MIME internally, though I wish they'd use
OpenPGP.  But, that's beside the point...

I've never understood the point of these disclaimers.  Anything
transmitted over the Internet can be intercepted, logged, printed, waved
around in front of someone's mother, etc., so without encryption, there
is no such thing as encryption, nor the possibility of a reasonable
expectation of such...

That having said, why are those messages always at the *bottom* of a
message?  You know, after you've read the thing, then you're supposed to
get a set of terms and conditions with it?  It would seem to me like the
entire thing has no effect.  It's like FAXes that have the same sort of
thing.

When I have a FAX number, I once received a FAX that was a complete
record of a mental health patient somewhere in Utah.  When I called back
the person to report that the FAX went to the wrong spot, the person I
was nice enough to inform that they misdialed starting making all sorts
of hairy demands, as if I were a criminal for her error in dialing.
Right...

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch              Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                        http://www.trausch.us/