[ale] RPM/yum/package management

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 24 15:53:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 14:23 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> I have always wondered what it is about ticker symbols that make things
> automatically good to look into.  After all, just because a business is
> managed well and can turn profits doesn't necessarily mean that it's
> something that is good---take a look at Microsoft, for instance.
>
> Perhaps it's a personal view thing for me---I frankly don't care about
> the status commercial backing of something as a factor in choosing it
> over something else.  That having been said, it's getting easier to use
> Ubuntu as a distribution for business, because businesses are warming up
> to it---I suppose because they have confidence that they can call
> Canonical or some other downstream provider for service and support of
> the system as a whole.  Given the experiences that I have had on that
> front from other companies, though, it's something that I've learned not
> to rely on---I've worked in environments that, for example, relied on
> Sun to provide support and would often find that it was far
> quicker---and sometimes easier, too---to find a solution that worked
> without calling them at all.
>
> Pure confuzzlement as far as I am concerned, at least on that one aspect
> of things.  :)

No Kidding!  I never stop being amazed at what a bean counter thinks is
technologically important.  For the crown I pitch to these days,
spelling computer seems to count as technologically proficient enough to
make policy for 10,000 users. They understand M$ and that M$ makes money
and they really seem to have to problem _spending_ money. They just have
issues with _not_ spending money.

So I can pitch Official RedHat Advanced Server, and all the support
licensing they want, and they are very happy. since RH does the job for
my needs, hooray, beer! Er. Sorry. wrong pitch. It's friday.

But as is obvious, what ever shoe fits gets worn.

>From a personal standpoint, I use the redhat based stuff most of the

time because I'm too time pressed to dig enough into the nuances of many
other distros.

Or maybe that's just lazy...  :)