[ale] RPM/yum/package management

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Aug 24 14:23:42 EDT 2007

James P. Kinney III, on 08/23/2007 08:59 PM said:

> This is an issue with a few repos out there that are known to have
> compatibility issues with the main distro(s) release. For future
> reference the yum repo listing is in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and they can be
> turned off by editing the file foo.repo and setting enabled=0. By
> narrowing down the repo list, you narrow down the requirements list and
> thus the opportunity for problems.
>
> Or using a tool like yumex, which is more complete (IMHO) gui wrapper
> that pirut, it is easy to activate and deactivate repos (and deselect
> packages with dependency issues.). A big factor I see often is a package
> is updated and built using a lib that i also going to be updated. But
> for reasons I don't follow, the lib package is NOT also put up on the
> repo server (or the sync isn't finished yet).

Worth looking into if I look in that direction again.  Thank goodness
for Gmail-backed mail and mailing list archives. :)

> It is hard enough to get a business entrenched with that stinking dog
> pile from Redmond to look at Linux as a viable alternative. If debian
> was findable on NASDAQ it would help. So far RHT shows up and so does
> NOVL and that makes what I do much easier.

I have always wondered what it is about ticker symbols that make things
automatically good to look into.  After all, just because a business is
managed well and can turn profits doesn't necessarily mean that it's
something that is good---take a look at Microsoft, for instance.

Perhaps it's a personal view thing for me---I frankly don't care about
the status commercial backing of something as a factor in choosing it
over something else.  That having been said, it's getting easier to use
Ubuntu as a distribution for business, because businesses are warming up
to it---I suppose because they have confidence that they can call
Canonical or some other downstream provider for service and support of
the system as a whole.  Given the experiences that I have had on that
front from other companies, though, it's something that I've learned not
to rely on---I've worked in environments that, for example, relied on
Sun to provide support and would often find that it was far
quicker---and sometimes easier, too---to find a solution that worked
without calling them at all.

Pure confuzzlement as far as I am concerned, at least on that one aspect
of things.  :)

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch              Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                        http://www.trausch.us/