[ale] new Distro

Patrick P parspe at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:57:00 EDT 2007

 It was intended to be a difference, not a strength. I have already had several people tell me that I should just go work on DSL.
Once it is installed yes, it is basically Debian - but it is Debian optimized to run on older hardware.  It simplifys the process of installing Debian on an older machine. Yes, it uses the Debian repositories, and there will be a few customized packages later when we are done. At the moment we just have an installer, although when we get to version 1.0 we will release an iso for offline installation. The main difference is that the IceWM window manager is installed along with a selection of applications for everyday use, most of which are selected for low memory usage, although familar applications such as a Mozilla browser suite are also included for those who would rather use them. We are working on getting together the needed graphical configuration utilities as well. It is a desktop workstation distribution for older hardware.

>I wouldn't advertise that as a strength. DSL works as a livecd (or
>liveusb) and can be installed to a hard disk. Once it's there,
>supposedly it's plain debian.

>I imagine people might be more interested in testing if you bragged
>about what sets this new distribution apart from DSL, Xubuntu, etc.

-Brian