[ale] [Fwd: Pirate Banned from Using Linux]

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Aug 23 19:47:33 EDT 2007

On 08/23/2007 07:17:54 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Drag0n, on 08/23/2007 06:32 PM said:
> >
> > There are constitutional protections against cruel and
> unusual
> > punishment! Windows ME violates both of those
> protections.
> >

> Mandating the use of any operating system in the Windows
> family is,
> IMHO, especially when those operating systems do not fit
> my needs.
>
> It's like saying to someone, "You must use
> ${PACKAGE_MANAGER} or you
> will go to jail."
>
> (Sorry, I couldn't resist on that one...)

I rather feel the same way. However, the individual in
question does have another option - no computer use at all.

Realistically, putting the monitoring system seems a little
dense to me, whether widders based or not. Something like
Snort upstream from his network interface would seem less
likely to be compromised/messed with. And less likely to
cause a security break for the convict also.

I'll be cynical, and just suspect that it is the DOJ being
lawyers who by definition appear infallible. /cynic