[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 19:33:25 EDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 07:50:03 am Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2007 06:44:37 am Geoffrey wrote:
> > > I did think that it was a very interesting read, though. ?I have to
> > > wonder what he sees in an RPM-based distribution, because from my
> > > experience they require quite a bit more hands-on, low-level
> > > maintenance than Debian based systems do (at least the package manager
> > > does).
> >
> > When was the last time you looked at an rpm distro? ?'rpm hell' is a
> > thing of the past.
>
> hmmm, what about installing packages from source. Without using
> checkinstall ( NOT part of the standard package) your database doesn't know
> about any source packages.. And I use checkinstall, but I've even had
> problems making it work on some packages.

I have had some problems using checkinstall on Ubuntu recently. It fails
because supposedly the package required it to replace something fundamental
like ld. The only thing I can guess is that the developer did something
sloppy with the Makefile. It only happens with some programs. Katapult was a
recent example.