[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:25:26 EDT 2007

I don't understand your point. Are you complaining that apt-get won't
hold your hand when it finds broken packages? What if that broken
packages was libc6 (it happens, trust me)? Would you really want your
dpkg frontend telling you "The following actions will resolve these
dependences: \ Remove the following packages: \ libc6"? I certainly
wouldn't.

I don't know how "smart" aptitude is; I've never used it. I prefer
using apt and dpkg so I know what is happening and can fix things
myself when they go wrong. If doing `apt-get dist-upgrade` is going to
break things, then it shouldn't be done. The only time such a scenario
should occur is when doing a dist-upgrade from the stable branch to
testing, unstable, or experimental. At least, when running Debian.