[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 23 15:37:01 EDT 2007

Preston Boyington wrote:
> now if you go from using apt to using aptitude then WOW what a headache.
>  aptitude doesn't keep up with what apt does apparently and the two
> don't play well together.  stick with one (apt for me) and there
> shouldn't be any trouble.

I can't think of anything apt-get tracks that aptitude wouldn't. However:

'apt-get remove' leaves orphaned packages. 'aptitude remove' doesn't.
'aptitude dist-upgrade' ranks and presents several options to resolve
dependency problems. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' gives up.
'aptitude' records all actions in /var/log/aptitude

Those are the advantages of aptitude that come to mind.

-Brian