[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:12:06 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
<snipped>

> Try upgrading from
> sarge to etch, it is very difficult.

???
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

now if you go from using apt to using aptitude then WOW what a headache.
 aptitude doesn't keep up with what apt does apparently and the two
don't play well together.  stick with one (apt for me) and there
shouldn't be any trouble.

maybe you were just sticking with "stable" branch? (server boy! server
boy!)  guess there could be a bit of sticky business since there were
lots of changes.  on my several systems that run Debian i only have had
a big issue when my x11 changed to xorg.  don't remember any problems
going from "release" to "release" just a long time to download and
upgrade since 80+% changed.

laptop runs a mix of testing and experimental.  no problems whatsoever.

here's a link to my sources.list:
http://prestonboyington.wordpress.com/2006/11/07/sourceslist-change/

take a look and see if there's anything you might be interested in.