[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Aug 23 14:32:09 EDT 2007

You're implying there's something wrong with being a girly man?  You're
not in the Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that" camp?
(For the record I'm not gay - not that there's anything wrong with
that.)

Having worked on AT&T UNIX, SCO XENIX & UNIX, NEC's Astrix, NCR UNIX,
AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Dynix and probably others I've forgotten along with
distros such as Caldera, Debian, Fedora and RedHat (not to mention
embedded Linux in NAS, BigIP F5) and Vmware not to mention various
applications and databases on enterprise class systems I think I've got
all the "technical" work I can handle.

My point was if we're just making distros for us geeks why aren't we all
just getting all the source and building from scratch?  For that matter
why aren't we all "he-men" enough to write and run our own operating
systems rather than being so namby-pamby as to rely on OSS communities?

There is nothing prohibiting anyone from downloading and compiling
source on any distro (including Fedora) and many reasons why you would
want to even if there were precompiled packages available.   My comments
about source were to point out what I saw as incongruities in the
arguments.

I don't mind folks preferring one distro over another - I do mind
opinion presented as fact especially when BS is posted about another
distro to try to support their opinion.  As I noted in my post (in upper
case no less) I knew what I was saying was "OPINION".  It just often
appears to me that some folks pretend they are posting fact when the
"fact" is that it is only their opinions.  Talking about rpm failings
from years ago as if they were the biggest impediment to Linux adoption
today ignores recent history.   This is essentially a "religious
argument" and as such won't ever be won.  (Shouting the loudest isn't a
win - it's just a recognition that you can't formulate intelligent
arguments.)

Of course my comment about Linus supporting Fedora was meant to be
tongue in cheek but that doesn't always seem apparent in text.