[ale] Central server recommendations?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 23 13:47:57 EDT 2007

> laytonjb at charter.net, on 08/22/2007 10:55 AM said:
> 1. Backups: software and/or hardware recommendations? The data is likely to
> change fairly slowly. What about using DVD's for shorter term backup (less
> than 2 years)?

I used to use rsnapshot, but I've decided dirvish makes it easier to
backup different machines at different times (I don't always have
connectivity to all of them). Both of these are convenience wrappers for
the "rsync + hard link" snapshot style of backup.

http://www.rsnapshot.org/
http://www.dirvish.org/

You could use Bacula and integrate DVD's, but this ends up fairly complex.
http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/index.html

An interesting-looking piece of software I've never tried is
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

-Brian