[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:01:10 EDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Having installed Debian (Sarge and Woody) along with Redhat and Fedora I
> am continually amazed at folks that think that the apt style utilities
> are easier than Yum.  These apt utilities IMO are NOT intuitive to use
> at all.

What is unintuitive about `apt-get install xmms` or `apt-cache show
xmms`? I agree, it isn't something my grandmother is going to think of
doing. But for a technical person who uses computers every day, that
shouldn't be so hard to grasp. For the non-technical, there are things
like aptitude (way better than the much maligned dselect) and
Synaptic. Yes, you have to know which utilities to use, but that is
the same for any platform.

> I like the original post though - Now when people tell me other distros
> are superior to Fedora I'll just ask "Then why does Linus Torvalds run
> Fedora?".

Because it is what he decided to try the last time he reloaded his
machines. I do the same thing. I try different distributions whenever
I feel like my experience is getting stale. I've tried quite a few
distributions over the years: Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, SuSe, Gentoo,
Corel, Arch, Slackware, Ubuntu, etc. I've settled on Debian for my
servers and Arch for my desktop. But I'm sure I'll switch again if
something comes along and catches my interest.

So, it isn't so much a thing of "Fedora is better" as it is "Fedora
looked interesting." At least, that's how I interpreted his response
to the question. What was quoted in the original post is not Linus'
full response. If you didn't read the article, here is the part of his
answer preceeding the part you like so much:

"A "specific" one? No. I have changed distributions over the years,
and it tends to really end up depending on various random
circumstances, like just when I switch machines around and what
happens to be convenient."

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/