[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Aug 23 10:44:45 EDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 10:40:01 am James Sumners wrote:
> You should. They are not the same thing. Ubuntu is a derivative of
> Debian. In its infancy, Ubuntu was a mishmash of Debian's stable,
> testing, and unstable repositories with a pretty installer and a
> reliance on sudo. I don't know how they decide which packages to bring
> in from Debian now, if at all. I don't follow Ubuntu.

we're even, I don't follow Debian:)

> As was mentioned, Debian is more of a "power user" distribution. For
> the most part, if you don't install it, you won't have it. There are
> several nice things about Debian, in my opinion. 1) The dpkg package
> manager (including apt). 2) The default configs for packages are
> generally pretty sane. 3) The filesystem layout is well done and
> maintained.

hm.. looking at my Linux magazine DVDs I have Knoppix, Mandriva, Fedora,
Ubuntu, and Xandros, but no Debian.. I DO have a Debian "Etch" CD  in front
of me.. Looks like that is the latest version... I've got a spare partition
on my test server, I may just do that..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800