[ale] Central server recommendations?

Chris Farris chris at vitalpowers.com
Thu Aug 23 09:12:04 EDT 2007

I build a nice honking box for about $1400 at Frys.  4 500G SATA drives
in a raidz array give me about 1.5TB.

Yup, I'm using Solaris 10.

For offsite backups I used USB or firewire disks and rsync.

laytonjb at charter.net wrote:
> Good evening gang,
>
> I want to build a central server that is basically sort of a backup server. I want to
> keep copies of data from the household machines. I've even thought about using
> the machine as an NFS/CIFS server for the house. But, I really want to protect
> the data as best I can. So with that said I'm looking for some recommendations:
>
> 1. Backups: software and/or hardware recommendations? The data is likely to
> change fairly slowly. What about using DVD's for shorter term backup (less
> than 2 years)?
>
> 2. RAID level? I'm not too worried about performance so perhaps RAID-6 or
> RAID-51? Any comments or recommendations about these with mdadm?
>
> 3. Any hardware preferences for motherboard, etc? AMD dual-cores look too
> cheap to pass up at this time. I'm not fond of Nvidia chipsets, but I can
> easily pop in an Intel GigE NIC.
>
> 4. UPS recommendations? I would like something that will gracefully shutdown
> the server if a power failure is detected.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

Chris Farris				chris at vitalpowers dot com
The Exercise of Vital Powers		404 806 1403
http://www.vitalpowers.com