[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Thu Aug 23 08:09:57 EDT 2007

Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>

>> I did think that it was a very interesting read, though.  I have to
>> wonder what he sees in an RPM-based distribution, because from my
>> experience they require quite a bit more hands-on, low-level maintenance
>> than Debian based systems do (at least the package manager does).
>>

> When was the last time you looked at an rpm distro?  'rpm hell' is a
> thing of the past.

    So you mean RPMs are no longer version dependent on the libgdbm ?
And that they're intelligent enough to ask appropriate questions
necessary to get a sane default configuration on install rather than
just dump some standard default configuration. Yes they've add'd the
feature to yum to be able to get dependency packages as well on install
but the format itself has not changed to the point I'd claim 'rpm hell'
is a thing of the past.