[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 22 22:38:14 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright, on 08/22/2007 04:30 PM said:

> Before Fedora had PowerPC support, I ran YDL for a while, and before
> that I had SuSE. Funnily enough, the only distributions I tend to
> refuse to touch are the "technical" ones, so I've never run Debian,
> because as far as I'm concerned, the whole and only point of a
> distribution is to make it easy to install (so that I can then get to
> the part I care about, namely the kernel), so Debian or one of the
> "compile everything by hand" ones simply weren't interesting to me.

I read that to, but I think that sentence could have been better
written.  I certainly can't claim to know what his opinions on
distributions such as Ubuntu and its relatives are, but I think that he
meant to say that the source distributions (LFS, Gentoo, etc.) and
Debian were in two separate categories that he liked neither of.

I did think that it was a very interesting read, though.  I have to
wonder what he sees in an RPM-based distribution, because from my
experience they require quite a bit more hands-on, low-level maintenance
than Debian based systems do (at least the package manager does).

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch              Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                        http://www.trausch.us/
Mobile: (678) 522-7934            VoIP: 6453 at sip.trausch.us, 861384 at fwd