[ale] linus doesn't like Debian?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Aug 22 16:30:55 EDT 2007

I was reading this article on Linus Torvalds:
http://apcmag.com/7017/linus_torvalds_talks_future_of_linux_page_3
and he says this:
So right now I happen to run Fedora on my machines, which largely came about
from me running on POWER for a few years, and Fedora supported it pretty well
(and since I actually don't care that deeply about the distribution, I tend
to prefer running the same thing on everything, just to keep any distro
issues away).

Before Fedora had PowerPC support, I ran YDL for a while, and before that I
had SuSE. Funnily enough, the only distributions I tend to refuse to touch
are the "technical" ones, so I've never run Debian, because as far as I'm
concerned, the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to
install (so that I can then get to the part I care about, namely the kernel),
so Debian or one of the "compile everything by hand" ones simply weren't
interesting to me.
Compile everything by hand??? other than the .deb vs rpm, I don't see that
much difference between Ubuntu & SUSE.. or is it me..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800