[ale] Google to distribut StarOffice for free

Bruce callmebruce2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 09:15:38 EDT 2007

What it might do, is make OpenOffice.Org formats more
prevalent. Why would a home user buy MS Office at $140
or so for a student version, if they can do Star
Office for free as part of the Google Pack.

I know OOo is free (and from what I'm reading here -
so is Star Office) - but I think the average user
might be more apt to install Star Office as part of
Google pack than go search out OOo and install it.

My kids all use OOo, but I'm getting tired of having
to save and translate docs to make sure we e-mail them
in MS formats. My wife uses Word Perfect - so maybe
the Star Office translator for Word Perfect might be a
good thing.