[ale] Cablemodem problems (Charter); DSL maybe

Brian Stanaland brian.stanaland at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 08:11:58 EDT 2007

I had the same kind of problems you're describing in a place I used to
live.  It took getting a line tech who wasn't afraid to make Charter redo
the cable connection in the tombstone at the street.  A big temperature or
humidity change would make the service fail sporadically for a couple of
days.  This went on for about a year and a half.  Once the line was redone I
didn't have another problem.

Brian

On 8/20/07, Ken Cochran <kwc at theworld.com> wrote:

> >From: "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> >Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:23:22 -0400
> >Subject: Re: [ale] Cablemodem problems (Charter); DSL maybe
> >

> >For reasons best left to <rant> formatting, cable modems are apparently
> >very picky about grounding. To add to that, they are also very poorly
> >installed in most situations. The best thing _you_ can do is to get a
> >groundrod from the hardware store and pound it in yourself. Then run
> >appropriately sized bare copper from the ground in your power breaker
> >box to it. Repeat for the ground connection from the cable feed. Be sure
> >to use solid mechanical connection and use the anti corrosion grease.
>
> Both telco & cable enter the house by "their" NIDs, each on the
> outside wall nearby the electrical service/meter.  All are
> common-grounded (per code) to a single deep-driven rod directly
> below the power box (constructed in early 1970s).  It's on a
> lake, so there is a high water table; I'd think that would make
> for very good grounding.  (?)  Grounding has been inspected
> before, by both telco & cableco techs & by me & my electrician(s)
> and they report no problems.  And it looks good to me now.  {shrug}
>
> Services are underground in plastic conduit from the house to a
> pole, about 75 feet, and from that pole to the street pole, in
> the air about another 75-80 feet.  The "middle" pole is *not*
> grounded, neither for phone nor cable nor power; also, it's on
> "their" side of any NIDs, so any grounding there is utilities'
> responsibility.  I think the "street" pole is grounded for
> everything.  (Hmm, it'd have to be, it has a power transformer
> too and the power people here *always* ground transformers.)
>
> Internal house cabling is RG-6 with "snap'n seal" conectors.
> >From the house to the street is RG-11, with similar connectors.
>
> Any other ideas?  I just can't believe the cableco's outside
> plant is so temperature sensitive that they have to have a
> crew "retune" it seasonally.  But right now I'm not getting
> more than about 30 minutes at a time of ip-connectivity.
> Then it's out for roughly another 30 minutes, "cycling" like
> this all the time.
>
> -kc
>
> >On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 16:21 -0400, Ken Cochran wrote:
> >> Hi ALErs:
> >>
> >> Sort of a 2-part question/problem, cablemodem problems vs DSL:
> >> (Lesser of 2 evils?)
> >>
> >> 1.  (Charter) Cablemodem service problems:  You folks in the
> >>     cableco/outside plant world can maybe help me with this?
> >>
> >> I've been having problems with Charter (cablemodem) for a long
> >> time now (a couple of years or more, I track the tickets) and I'm
> >> wondering if now that I can get dsl at my location, it might be
> >> time to change.
> >>
> >> At roughly regular intervals of every few months, I get sporadic
> >> loss & restart of IP, TV works fine, usually the cablemodem
> >> itself (& subsequently the dispatched tech) reports good signal
> [...]

Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics because of this element of chance
and uncertainty. He said: God does not play dice. It seems that Einstein was
doubly wrong. The quantum effects of black holes suggests that not only does
God play dice, He sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.
-- Steven Hawking