[ale] Fw: Ale Digest, Vol 158, Issue 21

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Aug 20 19:36:35 EDT 2007

Rumei wrote:
> Thanks.
> I did what you said and found a bunch of *.c which contain this product
> ID, but no device ID. Is there any way to locate the proper one?
> Thank you again.
>
>      >Message: 11
>      >Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 01:26:42 -0400
>      >From: Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com <mailto:brian at polibyte.com>>
>      >Subject: Re: [ale] Q: how to find my USB drvier in openSUSE10.2 ?
>      >To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org <mailto:ale at ale.org>>
>      >
>      >Scully Wu wrote:
>      >> I'd like to find the driver of my USB device. I have already got the
>      >> Vendor ID and product ID. But I don't know how to find the
>     driver which
>      >> support it. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.
>      >
>      >I'm not certain I completely understand your question, but to identify
>      >the driver used by linux for a specific usb device I would attempt
>     to...
>      >
>      >(replace PRODUCT_ID with the actual product id)
>      >
>      >1) See if the product id appears in the kernel ring buffer.
>      >
>      >dmesg | grep PRODUCT_ID
>      >
>      >2) Locate and search the file modules.usbmap
>      >
>      >grep PRODUCT_ID
>      >
>      >3) Download the source from kernel.org <http://kernel.org>, untar,
>     and search it for the
>      >product id
>      >
>      >grep -R PRODUCT_ID *
>      >
>      >-Brian

Hi,

I'm responding to the ALE list; let's keep this conversation there so
that everyone can learn and contribute.

My understanding is that if the vendor id and product id are in the
driver's device table, that driver's probe function is called. The
driver then determines whether it can actually manage the device. I am
not a kernel hacker, so we've hit the limits of my knowledge. I suggest
you read http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4786 and the source for the
drivers you think might be able to handle your device. Also, you could
provide more information about your hardware to the list; someone might
have knowledge of it they can share.

-Bria