[ale] [OT] Need an 802.11G *bridge*

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:00:10 EDT 2007

On 8/18/07, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I used to use a Linksys WAP-11 802.11b wireless AP
> for my wifi net.  It was just an access-point; that is, it
> was a bridge, not a router.  So my Linux firewall could see
> the wifi clients directly, assign them IP addresses, do
> throttling based on MAC addresses, and (very important to
> me) selectively forward traffic and do SNAT/DNAT between
> the wifi clients and my wired LAN.
>
> I recently bought a Netgear WGT624 802.11g router, mainly to
> get WPA support.  However, it seems only to be able to be
> a NATting router, which means my firewall only sees one
> IP, and I can't do all the stuff I want to do.
>
> So the question is, does anyone know of a widely-available
> 802.11g device that can be used strictly as an access point
> or bridge? (But still supports WPA.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- JK

I currently use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162168
as a 4-wired-port wireless bridge.

Minimal setup, not much hassle. WPA on it worked fine with my old
Linksys WRT54GSv1, and works with my current DLink router. (I had
problems with a Linksys WRT54GSv8, but I think that's because v5 and
later of that hardware are simply crappy.) I don't want to have to
maintain my wifi infrastructure, so I just update the Buffalo firmware
on occasion and leave it at that.

-Alex