[ale] Sanitizing dead hard drive

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:21:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 14:22 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:

> The simplest and quickest method that works against all but the most
> persistent hackers (such as NSA and friends) is the following.
>
> Drill one or more holes the drive and case from top to bottom.  Be
> sure
> to drill through the circuit board too.  I don't know for sure but I'm
> confident that that gives good protection easily.
>
> For 100% protection I suggest either sanding the platters (sanding by
> hand is fine) or applying battery acid (if your are trained to handle
> it).

There seems to be some good advice in the manpage for wipe as well,
along with some rather interesting discussion of the subject... from my
Ubuntu system (retrieved with man -t wipe | ps2pdf14 - wipe.ps):

http://www.trausch.us/files/wipe.pdf

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!