[ale] Sanitizing dead hard drive

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 20 15:26:02 EDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Bob Toxen wrote:

> The simplest and quickest method that works against all but the most
> persistent hackers (such as NSA and friends) is the following.
>
> Drill one or more holes the drive and case from top to bottom.  Be sure
> to drill through the circuit board too.  I don't know for sure but I'm
> confident that that gives good protection easily.
>
> For 100% protection I suggest either sanding the platters (sanding by
> hand is fine) or applying battery acid (if your are trained to handle
> it).

Wot?? You mean I don't need to bury it in a pound of thermit which is then
lit? Or even a HF etch followed by hazardous waste disposal??

8-)

Ok, HF might be complete, but it wouldn't be spectacular. The thermit idea
tho, I think there is a gent over to Emery U. who could be persuaded to
accomplish same and film it also.