[ale] BELKIN routers - 1 question + notice of lawsuit

Greg Canter gcanter at speedfactory.net
Sun Aug 19 22:42:44 EDT 2007

As I am sitting here cycling my Belkin pre-n router (model # F%D8230-4) on &
off every 15 minutes I am looking at putting OpenWRT or some such on it so
it will not implode every 5 minutes under light load (downloading more than
1 98M file). Suddenly under a light load while downloading files it just
drops connections.  The lights are all green but it is for most part dead.
Sometimes rebooting via the web interface works and sometimes I have to hard
boot it along with my modem.  This behaviour just started so I am not sure
what the cause is (hardware failure ??).  Things were pretty much ok in the
past and the overall performance has been ok in the past.  Belkin's tech
support was even pretty good.  Another thing is that even when the web
interface shows the internet connection is down it can be up and operating.
Needless to say if I cannot put OpenWRT on it I intend to make it an AP only
with a pc running m0n0wall or pfsense to take over firewall duties.

At any rate I was wondering if anyone on the list has installed OpenWRT on
this model router/wireless AP.  I searched the OpenWRT forums and hardware
list - it only states that it is "under development".  My model is this one
:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=184316

Also, while I was researching this chunk of dung I found out that there is a
lawsuit going on whereby those lucky enough to keep their receipt for
several Belkin products can get a refund - others get coupons for 50% off
Belkin products. For lawsuit information you can go here :
    http://www.belkin.com/class%5Fnotice/classnotice.asp

Thanks,
Greg