[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Fri Aug 17 11:19:40 EDT 2007

On 8/17/2007 at 8:02 AM Jeff Lightner wrote:
>Funny about the charging people to make them learn.  I once had a job
>doing support for a company that made hotel software.   There was a
>nightly maintenance job the end user's (called night auditors) had to
>run but it could only be run once per night (because it tallied the
>day's business as well as moved the "business day" ahead by one).
>
>On occasion we would get a site that would run it twice despite
>admonitions not to do so for one reason or another (it was taking too
>long so they aborted and restarted or some other crazy reason).  We
>would:
>1) Make them restore the previous night's backup.
>2) Make them re-input all transactions for the time since that backup (a
>day)
>3) Charge them a fee for "assisting" them with the above since it was
>deemed "user error".

Hmm, I always wondered what a "night auditor" did.  Thanks for the glimpse into the industry.

>Despite all the above there was at least one user site that every 2
>weeks (at a minimum) would run this process not just twice but multiple
>times before calling us.   Some people NEVER learn not matter how
>painful the lessons are.

Yes, I've a few clients like that.  Ironically, as frustrating as they are, I actually like having them because they pay the most and I can *almost* count on the income.  ;c)

Cheers,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting