[ale] Adding drivers to FC 6 for install? - SOLVED

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Aug 17 08:58:26 EDT 2007

I'd posted this here a long time back but had solved the original
machine by replacing the PERC2/SC with a spare PERC 4 that we had laying
around.

Later I got another machine to play with that also had the PERC2/SC.
Up until this week I didn't really have the cycles to do it.  After
posting here I'd found a thread at:
http://www.suseblog.com/?p=156

Which talks about a similar issue for Suse with 2.6 kernel.  On reading
through the above I did a Google search about the megaraid.h he mentions
in the patch section.   This led me to a link where someone described an
issue similar to mine but on FC4.  The solution posted there and later
in same thread noted as being valid for FC5 seemed likely to be what I'd
need for FC6.   (Unfortunately I didn't save the link so can't give
credit where it is due.)

Anyway I just installed FC6 on the Dell PowerEdge 6300 with the PERC2/SC
using the FC6 CDs.  As Keith noted the driver is already there in the
2.6 kernel.  On FC4 FC5 FC6 (and presumably later) it contains TWO
megaraid drivers which are LSI MEGARAID AND LSI MEGARAID_MBOX.
When you do the initial boot it probes your hardware and defaults to
using the LSI MEGARAID_MBOX. This however, won't work on the older cards
like the Dell PERC 2/SC (made by American Megatrends which later became
LSI).

However, you can tell your system NOT to probe and then manually select
the driver.   The steps I followed were:

1) Boot from the FC6 installation CD
2) At first screen hit F4 for Kernel
3) At next screen at "boot:" prompt type "linux noprobe" and hit return.
4) At prompts to pick language and keyboard select as normal.
5) A box will appear to select driver.
Scroll down the list and highlight the LSI MEGARAID driver (you'll also
see LSI MEGARAID_MBOX - do NOT use MBOX).
6) NOTE: This step only needed if you have additional SCSI adapters.
On my system there were also 2 Adaptec 7890 SCSI adapters and an Adaptec
7860 SCSI (only God knows why this box had 3 Adaptecs AND the PERC 2).
Because it found other SCSI adapters it opened the box to select driver
again.
Chose "AHA-2470, 28xx, 29xx, 39xx (AIC7xxx)" driver.
7) It will go to the screen asking to test the media. I chose "skip"
8) It goes to a Devices screen - this should show all the drivers you
selected in 5 and 6. Click "Done".
9) Proceed with the installation as normal from there.

After following the above the system booted up cleanly from the LUN on
the PERC 2/SC. Also I ran "yum update" to update all the software to
latest version after the install - this installed a new kernel and that
also booted fine from the LUN.

Now I'm off to try doing same with Fedora 7...