[ale] [OT] Webhosting site

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 16 17:53:05 EDT 2007

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> I know this has been beaten to death, so one more kick couldn't hurt.
> Do any of you know of a good (namely cheap) web hosting companies.  It's
> for personal, not commercial use.  Mostly for sharing pictures.  Don't
> wanna use sites like yahoo, etc.  I thought about running my own server,
> but decided against it because of the overhead.  You know security,
> power, etc.

Based on an earlier discussion on ALE, I signed up for hosting with
asmallorange.com. For $25 a year I get 75mb of space, 3GB monthly
bandwidth, and no virtually no restrictions on shell access, email
accounts, databases, etc. It's perfect for my needs, which are hosting
email and a personal wiki. Their email support was great during the one
incident of downtime I experienced. If it hadn't been, I could have
driven to their office off Boulevard.

Sadly, their plans with greater storage and bandwidth aren't
competitively priced. I've heard good things about the following hosts.

http://hostgator.com/shared.shtml
http://www.site5.com/hosting/
http://www.bluehost.com/tell_me_more.html
http://www.hostmonster.com/hosting-features.htm