[ale] Taking the plunge

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:19:42 EDT 2007

VMWare player is great for simple setups; however, there are several
advantages for VMWare Server.  Can create VMs, setup networking, have
multiple VMs.  You can essentially have an entire virtualized
datacenter.  It's closer to esx server in functionality, and is still
free.

Matt

On 8/15/07, John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:

> ----- "Matt Kubilus" <mattkubilus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > VMware provides a free version of their server product.  You might
> > not
> > get the performance of Xen, but with a dual core it should be close.
>
> Xen won't virtualize Windows without the virtualization support (AMD-V or Intel VT) in your CPU. To tell if you can, do
>
> $ egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Or, check your cpu here: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors
>
> There's also kvm, which is a competing technology that supposedly has better support from the kernel developers. Here's an interview with the developer (also where I found the instructions above): http://kerneltrap.org/node/8088
>
> Your two best options are Qemu and VMWare Player. Both work well are are free. I used Qemu for a long time, but switched to vmplayer to try it out and haven't gone back. It works for me, on the rare occasion that I require Windows.
>
> John

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos