[ale] Taking the plunge

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Aug 15 13:34:54 EDT 2007

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Okay,
>
> My desktop office computer died yesterday.  I got a new Dell and it
> came with Vista.

Dude, you got a Dell..

> After 5 minutes use, I put in a new blank drive and installed OpenSUSE
> 10.2 as my new desktop OS.  I've been using UNIX/linux on servers for
> years (okay decades if the truth be known.), but this is my first
> desktop experience.
>
> So I expect to have some basic questions as I come up to speed.  I
> tend to use both the ALE list and the opensuse list to ask questions.
> Any thoughts of which is better for my forthcoming basic questions?
>
> My first basic question.  Should I go ahead and throw in the towel and
> install a Xen VM with XP on it just so I know I have a fallback for a
> couple Windows only apps I run?  (The new machine is a core DUO.
> Should have VT to allow Xen to run Windows.)

No experience with Xen, but if you rarely run them, go with a dual boot.

> My second basic question is which office solution to use since I have
> to be compatible with the rest of the company/clients.  ie.
> Interoperability is key.
>
> 1) Open Office 2.2 from the suse build service

I always upgrade to the latest version available from the Openoffice
website.

> 2) Sun Office (from ??)

You mean Staroffice.  I think that will cost you more then crossover
office and an existing version of MS office, if you already have it.

> 3) MS Office via wine (does it work?)

Depending on which version of office.  I would go with crossover office
rather then wine.

> 4) MS Office in a Xen VM.

Personally, I think that's a big gun for a small purpose.

> Question 3:
> I need to make a Viseo type drawing today.  I can deliver it to others
> as a PDF.  What tool should I use?

Dia

--
Until later, Geoffrey