[ale] bogus ESTABLISHED tcp connection on Windows 2003 (i386)

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:38:44 EDT 2007

This is not a linux question per se.

A server application listens to tcp/8888 on a Windows 2003 server Ent (i386)
with a few RHEL 4 (ppc64) and SEL9 (x86_64) clients in the same class C
subnet.
When it exits properly, sometimes netstat shows a 'bogus' tcp connection in
ESBALISHED state forever. A tuple like server:8888 <--> client 3456.

   - on the clients: nobody uses tcp/3456 as reported by lsof and by
   netstat
   - on the server: nobody listens to tcp/8888.  windows own
   'commServer' now owns the server:8888 socket instead of the server
   application.

The  connection is obviously  bogus, so it doesn't stop me from starting up
the server application to bind & listen to tcp/8888. However, the end-users
are very concerned with this phantom connection.
I am very curious too, on why commServer or any process would bother to take
ownership of that socket/connection, and how can I rid of it?