[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Mon Aug 13 18:26:52 EDT 2007

Hi Brian,

On 8/13/2007 at 4:50 PM Brian Pitts wrote:

>Robert Reese wrote:
>> Obviously, a lesson in computing safety plus a couple of free Comodo
>products http://www.comodo.com will help the teacher tremendously.
>
>Interesting stuff. AVG was the only free Windows antivirus I knew of
>with on-access scanning until now.

IIRC, Avast! does as well.  http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

But you're right, there aren't many.  OTOH, antivirus isn't as necessary today as much as a two-way firewall, which thankfully there are quite a few decent ones.  A good firewall keeps malware from working period, in my humble opinion... problem is, there isn't that good of a firewall out there for Windows.  Nevertheless, I keep from infection simply by knowing my vulnerabilities, the risks, and so forth.  The reason so many people with Windows get infected is they can't be bothered to learn the risks, how to avoid them, and to use products that minimize the risk (or, more to the point NOT use products that maximize their risk).  But mostly is because they can't be bothered *and* think their risk is lower than what it really is (the ol' 'ostrich' manuever).

Sorry, I accidentally tripped and landed on that there soapbox.  I'll hop down now and put it back for the next person to trip over.

Cheers,
Robert~

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

SIXIT Consulting